22 September 2007

Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden

Of all the places Debbie, Lola and I visited during my final trip to Cape Town, it was at Kirstenbosch that I nearly cried. It is a magnificent, breathtakingly beautiful place. If I lived in Cape Town, I would join the Botanical Society and go there frequently. I love it so much.

When we first arrived, we walked up Camphor Avenue. This is an old lane of camphor trees from Hong Kong that John Cecil Rhodes planted. For a good history of Kirstenbosch, see http://www.sanbi.org/frames/kirstfram.htm.

Shortly after we exited Camphor Avenue, we stopped to photograph and admire a particular flower bed, and we heard the pitter patter of little feet. It was two guinea fowl (which are plentiful throughout the garden) running around and around and around that bed and a few others. We decided that it must be a mating ritual, and among the three of us, we must have taken dozens of photos and short videos. I love those dang guinea fowl!

I tried to cull photographs, honestly, but the place is just so lovely. I want to share all of it with you!



The mating race.



Pincushion proteas of some sort. Lots of different pincushion varieties were blooming, and I didn't make note of the names.



DANG, I love these birds!


Castle Rock. All of Kirstenbosch is situated on the eastern slopes of Table mountain.



Phylica pubescens or featherhead.


Restios.


Another pincushion protea.

More pincushions.


I think this is a Cape Francolin, but I've already packed up my Birds of Southern Africa, and can't verify!


Protea sylvia bud.







Debbie emerging from a path in the woods.


Some type of erica.


A view to Rondebosch and the Cape Flats beyond.


Yet another pincushion protea.



Cycads.


Ferns.


Colonel Bird's bath. There was a Colonel Bird, and the bath is also shaped like a bird. It's fed by a spring.


Small waterfall below Colonel Bird's bath.


The glen.



Debbie in the glen.


Clivia.


Spring flowers. This section represents flowers in Namaqualand.

Strelitzia; what you Yanks call Bird of Paradise.




More Namaqualand beds



Erica baccans or bessieheide.

1 comment:

Beret Akimbo said...

Very cool!

Dana
possibly going for the trifecta
(we'll see)