02 August 2005

E-mail updates, anyone?

Dear friends,

I will be sending out occasional email updates about my time in South Africa. I don't want to bore anyone unnecessarily, so I will add you to my distribution list only if you reply that you'd like to be added. Several of you, in the last few days, have already told me yes, so no need for you folks to reply.

For a starter, here is a good source for basic facts about South Africa.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sf.html

Johannesburg proper is about 3.2 million; if you include nearby Pretoria, it's more like 5.8 million. The whole province of Gauteng, where Jo'burg is located, is about 9 million. The altitude here, which someone asked a few days ago, is around 6,000 feet, and the terrain is pretty hilly. This is where I'm learning to drive a stick shift on the left side. :)

Warm regards,

Katy G.

No comments: